Sunday, December 13, 2015

Year of Mercy. Reconciliation on Tuesday.

Year of Mercy
December 8, 2015–November 20, 2016
Year of Mercy
Pope Francis has declared an Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy. This Holy Year of Mercy will begin December 8, 2015, the feast of the Immaculate Conception and the 50th anniversary of the closing of the Second Vatican Council. It will close November 20, 2016, the Feast of Christ the King. This year’s motto is “Merciful Like the Father.”
 
Sometimes, when we think of the word mercy, we picture someone throwing themselves on their knees before a cruel villain, pleading to be spared some punishment. This is not our understanding of God’s mercy. We do not ask for God’s mercy because we are afraid of incurring his wrath as punishment for our sins. Rather, when we call on God to have mercy, we are calling on God in the only way we know him—as one who responds with compassion to those in need. When we show mercy to others, we are responding as God responds, with compassion.
 
This is such an awesome thing to remember as we prepare for the Sacrament of Reconciliation this coming Tuesday at school. Each Advent and Lenten season, the students have the opportunity to receive this beautiful Sacrament that reminds us of God's mercy and compassion. Sometimes we may feel anxious or nervous to confess our sins, but it is important to remember that God longs to forgive you. Remember, God knows that you are much more than the worst thing you’ve ever done. Knowing this amazing thing, a few things that you can do to prepare for the Sacrament:
1. Recall the Act of Contrition.
2. Examine your conscience. For example: When I make choices, do I sometimes forget about what God wants me to do? Do I pray everyday? Do I pay attention at Mass? Do I try to see God in others?
Do I listen to my parents and teachers or do I ignore them? Have I made fun of my brothers and sister or my classmates? Do I say, “I’m sorry” to the person I have hurt and “I forgive you” to the person who has hurt me? Do I play fair or do I ever cheat at school or games? Have I taken something that does not belong to me? Do I tell the whole truth? Or do I lie about things to not get in trouble?
Am I jealous of what other people have or do I appreciate all that God has given me? Do I try to do my best in school? 
3. Remember, the priest will never tell anyone their sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment